Friday, February 27, 2009

movies

I just wasted 20 minutes cataloging my favorite movies on facebook. I found the most useful list review for this purpose was the list of nominees for the Academy Award for best original screenplay. I got this idea from my American film professor at Cascadia Community College, Ed Messerly. He said that the original screenplay award actually means something, unlike the important politicized awards. On that note, I'm pretty sure that Sean Penn winning the best actor award had much more to do with prop 8 than good acting. They wanted Sean to get up there and shame everybody who voted for the ban, and sneer at those bigots outside in their American cars. As a columnis for the Economist said, the Oscar ceremonies reveal "an industry talking to itself." I disagree with the main thrust of his article (that the Academy should focus on the movies people like, rather than those they think are good) but I agree with him on that point.

No comments: